Those of you who follow me on Instagram would probably think my family and I are forever making and eating desserts!
Well, reality is we don’t.
No, really, we don’t!
We do try our best to stick to a ‘everything in moderation diet’. And then there’s the whole time thing…who ever has enough of it!
Usually weekends are left for the fancier stuff, for experimenting and desserts that require a lot of time and effort. During the week, on the other hand (if there ever is dessert on the menu) it needs to be quick and simple.
This here is one of my favourites. If you love Rice Pudding (like I do), you will be sure to love Mohalabia.
Mohalabia is a popular Lebanese dessert that can be best described as a Milk Pudding, to those not familiar with it.
It really is so easy and so quick to make. You can have it as is or add your favourite fruits and/or nuts.
What I love about this simple dessert is, for a special occasion, you could easily jazz it up. Try pouring it into pre-made tart cases & once set top with slices of fresh fruit. Yum!
- 2 2/3 cups milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornflour
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange blossom water
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- Use 2 tablespoons of milk and combine this with the cornflour. Mix to form a paste and add to a saucepan with remainder of milk and sugar. Simply bring to the boil, reduce heat and continue whisking for approximately 10 - 15 minutes or until mixture begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and add orange blossom and rose water.
- Pour into serving glasses and leave to set.
- Add your favourite toppings before serving. Here I added some Persian fairy floss, a dollop of freshly whipped cream and strawberries, followed by a crushed white chocolate and macadamia cookie for some crunch.
- (Other topping options: coarsely chopped pistachios or almonds, sliced mango, passionfruit or poached pears or apples)