Here is one of my family’s favourite meals…The Lamb Roast!
It’s not often that I make this meal. Not because I like to wait for a special occasion, it’s just simply because of the time it takes to cook. But, I tell you, when I do a lamb roast, that day in itself becomes a special occasion!
Although I prefer to slow roast it (at a lower temperature, for a longer time) it really is quite easy to prep. As for the sides, well that’s up to you. My girls love roasted carrots, steamed peas and corn, as well as our family specialty…Sweet Potato Mash!
What’s even more awesome about this meal are the many options for turning it’s leftovers into a whole new meal. Shepard’s Pie, Ragu or meat pies just to list a few.
- 800g waxy potatoes
- 200g sweet potato
- 40g sour cream
- 1 chicken / vegetable stock cube
- 1/3 cup liquid stock (used to boil potatoes)
- 1tsp salt
- 1.5 kg leg of lamb
- 1 large bunch fresh rosemary
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sumac
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bulb garlic
- Wash, peel, cut potatoes into chunks that are all approximately the same size.
- Place in pot and add enough cold water to cover potatoes. Add stock cube and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes (or until soft).
- Drain potatoes, retaining liquid stock.
- Using a potato masher or potato ricer mash into a bowl
- Add the 1/3 cup of retained liquid stock, sour cream, salt & combine.
- Preheat oven to 250ºC (or highest temperature).
- To season lamb, cut slits evenly all over and press a piece of garlic and rosemary into each slit.
- Brush all over with a mixture of 1 tablespoon sumac and 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Season well with salt & pepper.
- In roasting pan, sit leg of lamb on sliced onion, pieces of garlic, rosemary stalks.
- Cover with a sheet of baking paper & then tightly cover whole pan with aluminium foil.
- Place in a preheated oven and turn down immediately to 170ºC for approx. 4 hours.
- When it’s done, meat should just fall off the bone! Leave to rest for approximately 15 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite roasted vegetables and sweet potato mash
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we do!