Stuffed Eggplant & Capsicum
- 6 - 7 whole red capsicums
- 2 large eggplants
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 large carrot
- 300g beef mince
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400g can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baharat
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 100g fetta
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthways. Using a sharp knife, cut out flesh leaving about a 1 cm border.
- Dice the eggplant flesh into 1cm cubes.
- Cut tops off capsicum and remove seed.
- Wash rice.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan & add onion, garlic, eggplant and carrot. Cook for about 5 minutes until onion and eggplant has softened.
- Add mince. Cook until browned.
- Add tomatoes, stock, salt, pepper, baharat, paste and rice. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Place eggplant and capsicum on an oven tray that's lined with baking paper.
- Spoon stuffing into eggplant and prepared whole capsicums. Top with the crumbed feta.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until heated through.
To make stuffing:
Recipe & Images © The Lebanese Plate